County Council launches new funding initiative to bring culture and sports projects to life in Lancashire
Lancashire County Council has launched an exciting new funding initiative to enable community-led ideas that will help Lancashire become more vibrant, connected and forward-thinking.
Working in partnership with Spacehive, the UK’s leading civic crowdfunding platform, the Lancashire Culture & Sport Fund will empower residents to improve their community.
The County Council has allocated £500,000 per year to the Lancashire Culture & Sport Fund to support community-led ideas for cultural and sporting activities. Organisations could get up to £20,000 to boost projects towards their funding target.
Parish and Town Councils can take part too, with up to £5,000 available, while individuals with ideas and businesses who want to benefit their community could get £1,500 towards their live crowdfunding campaigns. With pledges starting at £2, there is also an opportunity for everyone across the county to get involved by supporting projects in their local area.
Lancashire County Council and Spacehive will hold an online launch event on Thursday 1 December at 12pm, and two workshops to discuss potential project ideas on 14 December and 12 January. Everyone interested in learning more about Crowdfund Lancashire is welcome to attend. To register, visit https://lcsflaunch.eventbrite.co.uk
The fund will open for project applications at the launch. The deadline to launch crowdfunding campaigns on Spacehive for the first round of funding is Wednesday 1 February 2023.
Cllr Peter Buckley, cabinet member for cultural services at Lancashire County Council, said: “We’re excited to launch the Lancashire Culture & Sport Fund with Spacehive and I'm looking forward to seeing the innovative and diverse array of ideas our residents come up with.
"Local people are best placed to understand the challenges and opportunities in their area and this model puts them and their ideas in the driving seat.
"I’m also calling on companies and organisations to join us in offering support to project ideas, whether funding or in-kind, so we can turbocharge the success of locally-led campaigns.
"The more people that get involved in the Lancashire Culture & Sport Fund the more inspiring local places we can create together.
“It is all about improving people’s health and wellbeing and cultural experience.”
Misha Dhanak, CEO of Spacehive, said: "Hearing ideas directly from residents as they reimagine their local areas – with the backing of their community – is incredibly inspiring. Spacehive is proud to work in partnership with Lancashire County Council and we are ready to support the ambitious change people want to make happen in their local area.”
To find out more about Lancashire Culture & Sport Fund, visit https://www.spacehive.com/movement/lancashire
Notes to editors
- High resolution images and the logo for Lancashire Culture and Sport Fund are attached and available for journalists to use.
- Spacehive is a funding platform for ideas that bring local civic and community spaces to life. Its vision is a world where anyone can shape their local area to create places that make people happy, proud and prosperous.
- The platform pools together funds between councils, businesses, foundations and the local community to pay for projects that improve local places, which typically results in projects securing three times more funding than if they were relying on council funds alone. Projects can range from building a new arts community centre or improving a playground or putting on a street cultural festival.
- For more info visit, spacehive.com
- Companies, foundations and public bodies interested in supporting projects alongside Lancashire County Council should contact firstname.lastname@example.org